October 27, 2015 9:21 am
“Halloween has become such a festive time of year and we want people to enjoy decorating their homes, wearing colorful costumes and getting in the fall spirit,” says Lorraine Carli, vice president of Outreach and Advocacy for the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), “but this holiday can quickly turn hazardous if proper precautions aren’t taken.”
To help trick-or-treaters stay out of harm’s way this Halloween, Carli and the NFPA advise the following tips.
1. When choosing a costume, stay away from billowing or long-trailing fabric. If you are making your own costume, choose material that won’t easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flame.
2. Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costumes. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so he or she can see clearly out of it.
3. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
4. It is safest to use a glow stick or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. If you choose to use candle decorations, make sure to keep them well attended at all times. Do not leave them near flammable objects or where trick-or-treaters may walk. Remind your children to avoid open flames. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit.
5. Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
Published with permission from RISMedia.